What to know
- Tap to adjust the screen lock time on iPhone Settings > Display and brightness > auto lock > choose preference.
- Allowing the iPhone screen to lock earlier saves battery and improves security.
iPhone allows you to control how fast or slow your screen will automatically turn off and lock the phone. This article provides step-by-step instructions for adjusting this setting and some of the benefits of using a shorter screen lock time.
How to change the screen lock time on your iPhone
You have probably noticed that the iPhone screen turns off automatically after a period of inactivity. When this happens, the iPhone will also be locked and you will need to enter your passcode or use Face ID or Touch ID to unlock it. The amount of idle time before this happens is your iPhone’s screen lock time setting.
Follow these steps to change your iPhone screen lock time. These instructions apply to all iPhones with recent versions of iOS.
Tap Display and brightness.
To elect auto lock.
Select the amount of idle time you want before the iPhone screen locks. A shorter time is probably better (as discussed in the next section). You should probably avoid choosing Never unless you really understand the risks and benefits.
After your choice is made, the new setting will be saved and you can do other things with your phone.
You can follow these instructions to change screen lock time on iPad as well.
Why do I need to change the screen lock time on my iPhone?
There are three main reasons to change the screen lock time setting on your iPhone:
- Easy to use: It can be annoying to lock your iPhone’s screen too quickly and have to unlock it several times a day when you want to use it. If your unlock tolerance is low, it may be best for you to extend the screen lock time.
- Battery: Battery power is required to keep the iPhone’s screen lit. As a result, the longer you wait for your screen to automatically lock, the more battery life you’ll use. By keeping the screen lock time low, the battery may last longer before it needs to be recharged. (Screen lock settings are just one of our many tips for extending iPhone battery life.)
- Safety: Security is perhaps the most important reason to check your screen lock time. The longer your iPhone is unlocked, the more likely someone will gain unauthorized access to your personal information (texts, photos, banking and health information) stored on it. A faster screen lock time improves iPhone security because it shortens the period of time your data can be accessed without entering your passcode.
How do I keep my iPhone screen on?
How do I change the lock screen on my iPhone?
How do I change my iPhone lock screen password?
Go to to change your iPhone password Settings > Access code > change Password. Tap Access code options to change if the access code is numeric or also contains letters. If you forgot your passcode, you need to put your iPhone in recovery mode to recover it.
How do I hide notifications on my iPhone’s lock screen?
Thank you for letting me know!
Get the latest tech news every day
Tell us why!
Not enough details
Hard to understand