Knowing how to enable dark mode on iPhone is important, as anyone who has ever looked at their phone in the middle of the night will agree. Bright screens like the 2000 nit screen on the iPhone 14 Pro are great in a well-lit environment, but in the dark they can be overwhelming to look at and cause eye strain.
You can of course lower the brightness to avoid this, but a white theme can still make the screen too bright for comfort. Therefore, it is good to know how to enable dark mode on iPhone. This makes your phone’s theme primarily dark, which further reduces the effects of bright, white, and blue light, making your phone more enjoyable and comfortable to use in the dark.
Personally, as someone who seems to get headaches easily, knowing how to enable dark mode on iPhone is a must, especially if I’m going to be staring at a screen for a long time. Fortunately, it’s easy to enable dark mode on iPhone, and we’ll talk you through it. What’s more, as you would expect from some of the best phones around, iPhones can even automatically switch between dark mode and light mode based on the time of day. We’ll show you how to enable that too.
Without further ado, here’s how to enable dark mode on iPhone.
How to enable dark mode on iPhone
1. Open the settings app and then tap Display & Brightness.
2. Tap the Dark check box under the Appearance section. To go back at a later time, you can do that easily tap the Light check box.
How to set dark mode on iPhone automatically
1. On the screen and brightness menu, turn on the automatic slider (green) and then tap options.
2. The default automatic setting is from dusk to dawn causing your phone to switch to dark mode as the day closes, then to light mode as the day begins. To change this, tap Custom Schedule.
3. Tap the time slots to select when to enable light and dark mode.
And there’s no bothering you at all, now that you can use dark mode, you don’t have to wear sunglasses to use your phone. Some people prefer to use dark mode all the time and that’s a perfectly valid choice, but of course it works best… in the dark.
If you want more Apple-themed tutorials, we’ve got you covered. New iPhone? Learn how to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone and how to transfer everything safely. Is your iPhone or Mac a bit slow? Learn how to clear RAM on iPhone and how to clear cache on Mac to try and speed things up a bit. Want to quickly delete a bunch of contacts? Learn how to delete multiple contacts on iPhone. Want to capture your best mobile gaming moments? Learn how to screen record on iPhone.