Knowing how to update Android doesn’t just make sure your phone has the latest software features. See, when you install a new version of Google’s operating system, the optimizations and security patches in your device also make your device slicker and more secure. That’s why updating Android is one of the best things you can do to take care of your device, your personal information, and have as much fun with your phone as possible.
If you’re not sure how to update Android – maybe you’re new to the best Android phones or you just don’t know – don’t worry. It couldn’t be easier, and this guide has you covered.
Here’s how to update Android.
- Connect to Wi-Fi and keep the phone charged
- Open the Settings app
- Scroll down and tap System
- Tap System Update
- Tap Check for update
- Tap Download and Install
- Select Restart now when prompted
- Wait for Android to finish updating after reboot
Read on for detailed instructions for each step.
Note: This guide was made with a Google Pixel. The steps may be slightly different on third-party phones using different versions of Android. However, steps 1 to 5 should be more or less the same.
1. Make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi, if possible, because major updates require large downloads. Ideal, put your phone on (some updates require your phone to be plugged in or have a certain battery life).
2. Open the Settings appthen to scroll down and tap System.
3. Tap System Update.
4. Your device can tell you that it is up to date. ignore this and tap Check for updates. If no update is available, your system is up to date and you don’t need to do anything. If an update is available, continue with step 5.
5. Tap Download and Install if an update is available.
6. Wait for the update to be downloaded and installed. This may take a while.
7. Sometimes your device needs to be restarted to complete the update. If prompted, select Restart nowor select a more convenient time to reboot the device and apply the update.
8. Once your device has rebooted, swipe down from the top to display notifications. You will see an Android system banner telling you the update progress. Follow any more directions as requested.
You now know how to update Android and enjoy all the cool new features of a new major OS release. Or you can simply enjoy the comfort of applying the latest security features. Next, you’ll want to find out what your phone can do, so be sure to check out our guides to a host of hidden Android features. Not familiar with Google Lens yet? Start with how to translate text directly on Android, how to identify a landmark on Android, and how to identify any plant on Android. Concerned about safety? Learn how to change app permissions on Android. Share data? You want to know how to set up a Wi-Fi hotspot on Android.